Providing women with the tools and resources they need to be successful entrepreneurs...

Women In Gear: School of Makeup Artistry
We are here to see you succeed!


Saturday, March 2, 2013

What are your thoughts about Marissa Mayer CEO of Yahoo and her restriction on telework?

In February, Mayer oversaw a major personnel policy change at Yahoo, stating “that all remote-working employees must convert to in-office roles, or leave the company”. Mayer worked from home during her own pregnancy in 2012 then built a personal nursery next to her office, not long after she made the decision to ban teleworking for all Yahoo employees.

After hearing the news of Marissa Mayer and her ban on teleworking I decided to evaluate my own work from home approach. To think about how productive am I and do I get the work done? How successful am I and do I see results? What challenges do I have and could I overcome them? What are the benefits and would I prefer to be in an office surrounded by co-workers or not?
I currently love working from home, I set up my workspace in a variety of places during the week and none of them are at a desk, more often than not it’s my comfy couch, my livingroom chair or my kitchen table. It is my own personal belief that I get a wealth of work done each and every day but then again I don’t actually have a daily quota to meet so who is to say. My success is based on the number of hits my site receives each month and that number appears to be growing, and if I had to pick a daily challenge it would be that time sails by much too quickly and I tend to miss lunch. I would think my ultimate benefit is my wonderful little dog that I get to be with all day long we enjoy a wonderful camaraderie and when it’s time for his daily walk he somehow never lets me forget. I do miss co-workers but then again I get easily distracted by things going on around me so it’s best if I save my social time for dinner and drinks with friends. I would have to say that teleworking is a huge success for me.

Marissa Mayer on the other hand appears to want to put her stamp on her position as CEO in her new company and is attempting to put her own touch on Yahoo’s success right out of the gate. Her decision I can only assume is based on an extensive look at her company and why it seems to always fall behind the success of Google, her new competitor and old employer. Her approach seems to have upset the apples in the cart but maybe it will be the trigger that brings around some new energy. Whether you agree with her decision or not the message is clear, Marissa Mayer is paving her own way in this company and shaking up the system seems to be her approach.
Cheers
Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment